James Henry Benton 34,54
- Born: 25 May 1838 35
- Marriage: Frances Catherine Herndon
- Died: 29 Feb 1888, Kentucky at age 49 35
Noted events in his life were:
• Obituary, Feb 1888. 19 "James Benton died at his home at Estill Springs, March 1, 1888, after a protracted illness of paralysis.
Hall of Irvine Lodge, No. 137, F. & A.M.
Irvine, KY, March 3, 1888
Whereas The Great Master has called from this Lodge to that Lodge not made with hands, eternal in the heavens, Bro. James Benton, and Whereas, Bro. Benton was an honest man, a kind husband, an indulgent father and an exemplary Christian. Therefore be it resolved, that this Lodge has sustained a great loss in the death of Bro. Benton. He was a model Mason, never turning a deaf ear to the appeals of distress or the dictates of Masonry.
Resolved, That the church has lost a true and devoted member. He was not bound by church creeds; but while he allied himself to one denomination, he was a brother to every true Christian, regardless of creed or denomination.
2. That his family should not mourn as those without hope; for what is their loss is truly his gain. The wife has lost her husband, tender and true, and the children their father, kind and indulgent.
3. That the society has lost an ornament, the community a zealous advocate of public improvement, the poor man a benefactor whose place will be hard to again fill.
4. That a copy of these resolutions be spread upon the records of this Lodge and preserved in the archives. That a copy be furnished his family and a copy be sent The Climax and also a copy to the Winchester Democrat for publication.
Will H. Lilly, Robt. Riddell, W.T.B. Williams Committee.
Vernon L. Vaughn, Sec'y.
James married Frances Catherine Herndon. (Frances Catherine Herndon was born in May 1841 in Kentucky 34.)