John Oliver Woods 1,13
- Born: 27 Mar 1875, Illinois 13,139,150
- Marriage: Clara Bell Kendrick on 12 Aug 1896 in Brown County, IL 74,432
- Died: 24 Jul 1960, Rushville, Schuyler, IL at age 85
I've looked through the Cooperstown census for 1880, but I don't find the Woods family.
He signed an alcohol abstinence pledge with his wife. Page with the pledge is with the ripped out pages of the family Bible owned by Mike Woods.
John's death date & place were found on Ancestry, but no source is listed.
"Mr. Woods is buried at Marden Cemetery, Elkhorn Twp. He was a tenant
farmer almost all his life, except when they owned a small farm about
2 miles west of Cooperstown. He wasn't very big, but was tough as
nails. He sure knew how to work horses - they lived for a time at the
Frank Tice place south of Hazzel Dell, there the barn was full of
fleas, but he never complained. He wouldn't eat celery or lettuce,
just meat and mashed potatoes and maybe some peas. He occasionally
added a syllable to words, for example momentum became momententum. I
enjoyed his company. He died mostly of old age, wouldn't eat the last
week or so of his life. He had very ill-fitting false teeth, and one
day they disappeared. Only learned years later that one of his sons,
initials Richard J., threw them into the woods. John never replaced
them. He grew up being poor, and pretty much remained so the rest of
his life. My father remembers John struggling to keep a walking plow
in the ground, just not giving up until he got the field plowed.
In1944 at the Frank Tice place, a team pulled a wagon wheel on his
head, it slipped off, taking some scalp. But doctors sewed him up and
he recovered. After all those years of hard work, he left an estate
of about $5,000.00." -- written by Galen Woods & put onto Ancestry.com
Noted events in his life were:
• Residence, 19 Jun 1880, Lee Township, Brown, IL. 25 Living here are Julius Woods, head; Amanda, his wife, and children Clara, Susie, John, Sarah, and Edgar.
• Residence, 19 Jun 1900, Buckhorn Township, Brown County, IL. 27 Living here are John Woods, Clara B., his wife; and Opal, their daughter.
• Residence, 3 May 1910, Pea Ridge Township, Brown, IL. 13 Living here are John O. as head; wife Clara B.; Opal, daughter; John G., son; and Richard, son.
• Occupation: Farmer, 3 May 1910-12 Jan 1920. 13,14 R.R. 3, Versailles, IL -- from WWI draft registration card.
• Physical Description, 12 Sep 1918. 150 Medium height, medium build, gray eyes, dark hair
• Residence: Cooperstown Township, 9 Jan 1920, Brown County, IL. 14 Living here are John Oliver as head, wife Clara, and children John, Jr., "Ritchard", Mary Helen, and Jerold.
• Occupation: Farmer, Gen. Farm Employer, 12 Jan 1920-1930. 14
• Residence: Cooperstown Township, 12 Apr 1930, Brown County, IL. 3 Living here are John as head, wife Clara, and children Clara, Mary, and "Jerland".
• Residence, 17 May 1940, Cooperstown, Brown, IL. 6 Living here were John O. Woods as head, wife Clara, and mother-in-law Jane E. Kendrick.
John married Clara Bell Kendrick, daughter of Randolph Kendrick and Jane, on 12 Aug 1896 in Brown County, IL 74.,432 (Clara Bell Kendrick was born on 13 Dec 1874 in Elkhorn, Illinois 13,14,25,432 and died on 24 Jul 1956 in Rushville, Schuyler, IL.)