Sarah Estelle Hammond
Sarah Estelle Hammond 73
Originally from Santa Clara, CA.
Noted events in her life were:
• Residence, 10 Jun 1860, Sault Sainte Marie, Chippewa, MI. 18 Living here are William as head, wife Sarah, and children John P., Ermina P., Hulda A., Estelle S, Jennie (Joanna?) M.
• Residence, 3 Jun 1870, Marshall, Calhoun County, MI. 24 Living here are Sarah as head, Hulda, Estelle, Jenni, Charles, and William.
• Education: Marshall, MI High School. 264
• Education: Normal School and Teachers College, 1874, San Jose, Santa Clara, California. 263
• Occupation: Teacher, Lexington & Reed Street School, 1875(?), San Jose, Santa Clara, California. 263
• Residence, 7 Jun 1880, 516 3rd. St., San Jose, Santa Clara, CA. 25 Living here are Sarah L. Hammond as head, children Hulda A., Jennie M., Charles T., and William M. Also living here are William S. Greathead, his wife Estelle, and their son Arthur.
• Occupation: stenographer, 1 Jun 1900, San Jose, Santa Clara, California. 34
• Residence: lived on a farm, 1 Jun 1900, San Jose, Santa Clara, California. 34 Lived at 11th & St. John, but it said it was a farm...
• Occupation: teacher. 264 Taught for 10 years.
• Occupation: Registrar and Secretary of the Faculty, 1905-1923, State Normal School & San Jose State Teachers College. 263
• Travel: Sailed from Glasgow to U.S, 28 Aug 1909. 265 Looks like she went with three friends from San Jose. She was 50 years old, widowed (the others were single), and a secretary (the others were teachers). The others were Annie Nicholson, Genevive Nicholson, and Rebecca English.
• Hobbies: Member of San Jose Poetry Society. 263
• Hobbies: Member of League of Am. Penwomen. 263
• Residence, 25 Apr 1910, 441 S. 2nd St., San Jose, Santa Clara, CA. 13 Living here are Sarah L. Hammond as head; Sarah E. Greathead her daughter; Jennie M. Hammond, her daughter; Arthur W. Greathead, her grandson; and Gracie (?) A. Kover, a servant.
• Occupation: Writer. 264 Wrote "Story of an Inspiring Past," "David Remembers," Newspaper book reviews, Miscellaneous magazine, 1874 co-editor of "Sunshine" (child's magazine).
• Residence, 1911, 441 S. 2nd St., San Jose, Santa Clara, CA. 127
• Residence, 1915, 499 S. 5th St., San Jose, Santa Clara, CA. 127
• Occupation: Registrar at a Normal School, 1915, San Jose, Santa Clara, California. 127
• Occupation: Author, 1928-1937. 267 Wrote 5 books: The Story of An Inspiring Past (1928) - history of the State Normal School and San Jose State Teachers College from 1862-1928
• Residence, 22 Apr 1930, 554 Pearl Ave., San Jose, Santa Clara, CA. 3 Living here were Arthur as head, Margaret his wife, sons William, Carroll, and Arthur S.. Also living here are daughter Ruth E. and Sarah E., his mother.
• Residence: Coit Hotel. 4 From an email from Sally Packard White 6-9-2009: "Aunt" Estelle was aunt Sadie's sister-in-law, I think her husband's sister. She wrote two or three books, a fictionalized account of her family, I believe. I read them; they were not very good. She lived with Sadie at the Coit Hotel in Oakland. When I was out there she was ailing, had shingles and was not recovering well. She and Sadie went into the cafeteria business after they became widows. Sadie said that the bank was very dubious about giving a loan to two women.
• Residence, 6 May 1940, 9 Branham Rd., San Jose, Santa Clara, CA. 6 Living here are Arthur W. Greathead as head, his wife Margaret, children William S., Carrol H., Arthur S., and Ruth. Also living here are Arthur W.'s mother Estell.
Sarah married William Sands Greathead, son of Arthur William Greathead and Rachel Sands, on 14 Jun 1877 in Santa Clara, CA 73.,261 (William Sands Greathead was born on 15 Feb 1851 in Chatham, Kent, England,65,73,82,166,262 died on 25 Feb 1889 in Santa Clara, CA 268 and was buried in Oak Hill Memorial Park, San Jose, Santa Clara, CA 243.)