Arthur William Greathead 82
- Born: 1 Aug 1826, Meltham, Yorkshire, England 53,66,73,293
- Christened: 26 Nov 1826, Wesleyan Meltham, Yorkshire, England 49
- Marriage: Rachel Sands on 23 Mar 1850 in Wesleyan Chapel, Rochester, Kent, England 73
- Died: 21 Feb 1864, Barnstable, Devon, England at age 37 73,294,295
Great grandfather of Richard Perry Radcliffe. Commenced business in Chatham, Kent, England April 8, 1850. Removed to London Sept. 25, 1854. Removed to Barnstable June 18, 1858. His wife and children emigrated to the USA. Born at Meltham, Yorkshire, according to Sally Packard -- source was Aunt Sadie (Sarah J. Hammond). (I have a copy of Wm. Greathead's written words to this effect.)
Belle A. Radcliffe owns an ad for his business. It says his name, then Linen Draper, Hosier, Haberdasher, Glover, and Laceman, 308 High Street, Chatham. Mourning Drapery. Manufacturer of Straw Bonnets, Wholesale Plait Warehouse. Burrell and Edwards, Printers 49 Wyeh Street, S(can't read)nead(?) On the back in very old script, it says, "Returned a Great Traveller -- How many narrow escapes has this the (?) owners had of destruction since it was first taken into 308 -- ? Oh Grace - what Drs are we all!!!
This is what William Greathead wrote to his infant son who, with his mother and brothers and sisters emigrated to the U.S.
"What shall I say to my darling boy Alfred John. I expect to find him very much grown when I see him again -- has he lost all his curls yet and can he run about without tu(m)bling down. Does he cry after ____ as much as he did Is he quite weaned from his Mama and is she weaned of him? I hope my dear Youngest Boy will be a good and wise man -- as good as John the beloved desciple of Jesus, and as wise as his namesake Alfred the Great, King of Britain. I pray for blessings on his head, and while I pray I work for his daily bread and when I am old and can no longer work, I hope he will be a comfort and joy to his dear Parents." Original is crumbling, but is owned by Belle A. Radcliffe.
In a letter from Alice Nelson McCoy to Sally Packard, a copy of which was given to Ellen Woods 11-05:
"Alfred John lived in Marshall, MI, near Battle Creek as did the Fletchers, a cousin on the father's side. Alfred lived with the Fletchers while going to school, after settling in Marshall when about 15 years of age. His father was possibly a minister in England. Joe Heard and Alfred were friends in Barnstaple, England. [Note: this must be wrong if you compare the birth dates of Alfred John and Joe Heard. Most probably the writer meant to say Joe Heard and Alfred's FATHER were friends. Alfred J. came to the U.S. when he was an infant.]
From Greathead web site:
William Greathead was born on 1 August 1826 in Meltham, Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England <pd24.htm>.1 He was the son of Joseph James Greathead <p74.htm> and Sarah Dunstall <p74.htm>.3 He was baptized on 26 November 1826 in Wesleyan, Meltham, Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England <pd24.htm>.1,4 In the census of 7 June 1841 in High Street, Blue Town, Sheerness, Kent, England <pd11.htm>, he was listed as the son of Joseph James Greathead <p74.htm>.2,5 He married Rachel Sands <p416.htm> in 1850 in Chatham, Kent, England <pd11.htm>.6,7 William was listed as head of household in the census of 30 March 1851 at 308 High Street, Chatham, Kent, England <pd11.htm>, William was a draper.8 William was listed as the head of the family of on the census of 7 April 1861 in Belliar, Pelton, Barnstable, Devon, England <pd4.htm>, William was a linen draper and lived with his wife and children, William, Alice, Frederick and Sarah.9 He and Rachel Greathead <p416.htm> emigrated in July 1870 to Marshal Michigan, USA with six children. Joseph James having died in England. He was naturalised in 1889.6
Children of William Greathead and Rachel Sands <p416.htm>
William Sands Greathead <p416.htm>+ b. 1851, d. 1889
Joseph James Greathead <p414.htm> b. 1852, d. 1856
Alice Mary Greathead <p416.htm> b. 1854
Frederick Charles Greathead <p416.htm>+ b. 1856
Sarah Jane Greathead <p416.htm> b. 1858, d. 1961
Alfred John Greathead <p416.htm>+ b. 5 May 1861, d. 21 May 1910
Ernest Edward Greathead <p416.htm> b. 24 Feb 1864, d. 9 Sep 1957
Sources of information
[S4176 <s1.htm>] E-mails from Audrey Summerill to Jan Cooper, from 30 September 2002.
[S9057 <s1.htm>] E-mails from Judith Lancefield to Jan Cooper, from 24 March 2003.
[S50029 <s1.htm>] Www.firstfamilies2001.net.au.
[S50002 <s1.htm>] IGI Family Record Family Search International Genealogical Index v 5.0 British Isles/Africa, International Genealogical Index (TM) (IGI) Entry , Item 1 Births and burials of Meltham, Wesleyan Church, 1820-1837 Wesleyan Church (Meltham, England) Film 0828145.
[S1841000 <s1.htm>] , 1841 census.
[S4241 <s1.htm>] E-mails from Jim Greathead to Jan Cooper, from 12 May 2003.
[S51837 <s1.htm>] GRO Indexes, www 1837 or Free BMD, 1850/Q1 Medway Volume V Page 395.
[S1851000 <s1.htm>] CFHS and Shropshire FHS, 1851 census , HO107 Piece 1610 Folio 401 Page 22.
[S1861000 <s1.htm>] Census 1861 RG9 - 7 April 1861 from various sources , RG9 Piece 1494 Folio 73 Page 26.
Belle A. Radcliffe has his Notice of Assessment under the Income Tax Acts, Year 1863, Schedules D & E. It says he owes the queen 1pound, 15 shillings, that he lived on High Street, Devon, Barnstaple. His property was assessed at 60 pounds. Dated 9-11-1863.
Noted events in his life were:
• Alt. Name: Arthur William. 296
• Alt. Birth, 12 Aug 1826. 49
• Birth, 12 Aug 1826, Meltham, Almonbury, York, England. 293,297 The record book says, "No. 43 William the Son of Joseph Greathead of Mentham in the Parish of Almonbury in the County of York Durggist and of Sarah his wife, who was the daughter of James and Lucy Dunstall was born on the Twelfth day of August in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and Twenty Six and was solemnly baptized with water, in the name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, on the Twenty Sixth day of November the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and Twenty Six by me John Jones"
• Baptism, 26 Nov 1826, Wesleyan ChapenWesleyan Chapel, Rochester, Kent, England. 293,298 Baptism place: Meltham Almondbury, Yorkshire, England -- according to England & Wales, Non-Conformist & Non-Parochial Registers, 1567-1970.
• Residence, 1841, Minster-in-Sheppey, Kent, England. 66 Living with Joseph, head of household, were Sarah, Joshua, William, Charles, Sarah, Alfred, Emma, Eliza, and what looks like two servants (possibly) - Isabela Walter and Eliza Walter
• Residence, 1851, 308 High St., Chatham, Kent, England. 65 Living here were William Greathead as head, wife Rachel, son William S., Sarah Greathead (Wm's mother), and Alfred Greathead (brother of Wm).
• Occupation: Draper, 1851, Chatham, Kent, England. 65
• Occupation: Linen Draper, Hosier, Haberdasher, Glover, and Laceman, Mourning Drapery. Manufacturer of Straw Bonnets, Wholesale Plait Warehouse, 1861, 308 High Street, Chatham, Kent, England. 166 This information was from an ad for his business, owned by BA Radcliffe. To read the complete ad, refer to the notes on William's information screen. 308 High Street has held a clothing store named A.F. Smith & Sons Limited since 1884. This is a multi-story commercial building. See photo.
Listed at this occupation in the 1861 census.
• Residence, 1861, Barnstable, Devon, England. 166 Living here are Wm. Greathead as head, Rachael his wife, and children Wm. S. , Alice M., Fredrick, Sarah J., and a servant.
Parish of Pilton, Borough of Barnstaple, Municipal Ward ([?]
Worth?) Barnstaple, Parliamentary Borough of Barnstaple.
Arthur married Rachel Sands, daughter of William Sands and Alice Richards, on 23 Mar 1850 in Wesleyan Chapel, Rochester, Kent, England.73 (Rachel Sands was born on 17 Aug 1822 in Chatham, Kent, England 34,53,73,82,166, christened on 17 Sep 1820 in Chatham, Kent, England,299 died in 1916 in Oakland, CA 31,72 and was buried in Oak Hill Memorial Park, San Jose, Santa Clara, CA 243.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Marriage, 1850, Medway District, County Kent, England. 300 Their marriage record appears in Vol. V, page 395 if we had access to it.