Rachel Sands 73
Great grandmother of Richard Perry Radcliffe. Emigrated to Marshall, MI with her children while her husband continued to work in England. Born at Chatam, Kent, England according to Sally Packard -- source was Aunt Sadie (Sarah J. Hammond). I don't remember my source, but I have a note that says she came to MI to be with her sisters/siblings, at least in 1837.-- that year MUST be incorrect!
Noted events in her life were:
• Alt. Birth, 1826, Kent, England. 66
• Residence, 1841, Middle St., Chatham, Kent, England. 66 Living here are William Sands, Alice, William, Sarah, Rachel, and James.
• Occupation: Straw??? Maker, 1841. 66
• Residence, 1851, 308 High St., Chatham, Kent, England. 65 Living here were William Greathead as head, wife Rachel, son William S., Sarah Greathead (Wm's mother), and Alfred Greathead (brother of Wm).
• Residence, 1861, Meltham, Yorkshire, England. 166 Living here are Wm. Greathead as head, Rachael his wife, and children Wm. S. , Alice M., Fredrick, Sarah J., and a servant.
• Emigration: from England to Marshall, Calhoun, Michigan. 11,16,25 In the census of April 7, 1861 in Bellair, Pelton, Barnstable, Devon, England, she was listed as the wife of William Greathead. She & William Greathead emigrated in July 1870 to Marshall Michigan with six children. Joseph James having died in England. (There is question about this!) He was naturalised in 1889. (sources: emails from Jim Greathead to Jan Cooper, from 5-12-2003, & GRO Indexes, www.1837 or Free BMD, 1850/Q1 Medway Volume V Page 395.) Rachel was listed as the head of the family on the census of June 10, 1880 in Marshall, MI. Rachel kept house. (source: IGI Family Record Family Search International Genealogical Index v. 5.0 British Isles/Africa, International Genealogical index (TM) (IGI) Entry, FHLM 1254575 NA film no. T9-0575 page no. 315D.)
• Residence, 7 Jun 1880, Marshall, Calhoun County, MI. 25 Lived here with son Frederick, Sarah, Ernest, Alfred J.. Keeping house.
• Residence, 1885, 125 Douglas, Chicago, Cook, IL. 85
• Citizenship, 1889. 268
• Residence, 5 Jun 1900, 650 Waller St., San Francisco, San Francisco, CA. 34 Living here are Charles as head, wife Sarah and her mother Rachel Greathead.
• Residence, 19 Apr 1910, 406 13th St., Oakland, Alameda, California. 13 Living here are Mrs. Charles Hammond as head, Rachael Greathead as lodger, and Hulda Crane, lodger.
• Obituary: Oakland Tribune, 10 Jan 1916. 301 Death Takes Mrs. Rachel Greathead
Rachel married Arthur William Greathead, son of Joseph James Greathead (1) and Sarah Dunstall, on 23 Mar 1850 in Wesleyan Chapel, Rochester, Kent, England.73 (Arthur William Greathead was born on 1 Aug 1826 in Meltham, Yorkshire, England 53,66,73,293, christened on 26 Nov 1826 in Wesleyan Meltham, Yorkshire, England 49 and died on 21 Feb 1864 in Barnstable, Devon, England 73,294,295.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Marriage, 1850, Medway District, County Kent, England. 300 Their marriage record appears in Vol. V, page 395 if we had access to it.