William Sands Greathead 73
- Born: 15 Feb 1851, Chatham, Kent, England 65,73,82,166,262
- Marriage: Sarah Estelle Hammond on 14 Jun 1877 in Santa Clara, CA 73,261
- Died: 25 Feb 1889, Santa Clara, CA at age 38 268
- Buried: Oak Hill Memorial Park, San Jose, Santa Clara, CA 243
Great uncle to Richard Perry Radcliffe.
In the census of 7 April 1861 in Bellair, Pelton, Barnstable, Devon, England, he was listed as the son of William Greathead. William was a scholar. (source: Census 1861 Rg9-7 April 1861 from various sources, RG9 Piece 1494 Folio 73 page 26). William was a dry goods clerk. (emails from Jim Greathead to Jan Cooper from 5-12-2003)
Noted events in his life were:
• Residence, 1851, 308 High St., Chatham, Kent, England. 65 Living here were William Greathead as head, wife Rachel, son William S., Sarah Greathead (Wm's mother), and Alfred Greathead (brother of Wm).
The son William was 2 mo's old at the time of the census.
• Residence, 1861, Meltham, Yorkshire, England. 166 Living here are Wm. Greathead as head, Rachael his wife, and children Wm. S. , Alice M., Fredrick, Sarah J., and a servant.
Parish of Pilton, Borough of Barnstaple, Municipal Ward ([?]
Worth?) Barnstaple, Parliamentary Borough of Barnstaple.
• Residence: 576 3rd St, 1880, San Jose, Santa Clara, California. 25 Living here are Sarah L. Hammond as head, children Hulda A., Jennie M., Charles T., and William M. Also living here are William S. Greathead, his wife Estelle, and their son Arthur.
• Employment: J.W. Cook's dry goods clerk, 1880, San Jose, Santa Clara, California. 25,268
• Occupation: Fruit Farm Owner: San Jose, Santa Clara, California. 31
• Illness. 268 He died at his home at 777 South Second Street, Santa Clara, California, USA <pd1449.htm>, aged 38. He was buried on 27 February 1889 at 10 o'clock from his home address.8
• Obituary: California Evening News, 26 Feb 1889, San Jose, Santa Clara, California. 313 William S. Greathead.
His Death Yesterday After a Lingering Illness.
The announcement of the death of William Sands Greathead, while not unexpected, will shock a wide circle of friends. He died of bronchial asthma early yesterday morning at his home, 777 South Second street. He came to San Jose thirteen years ago, and for many years was manager for J.W. Cook in the dry goods business, from which position he was about four years ago compelled to retire, by reason of failing health. With a hope of regaining his health, he purchased a fruit farm, but he steadily declined, and all that mortal help could do to keep away the grim messenger was done but without avail. During his sickness he suffered intensely, and though he knew that his days were few never a word of complaint came from his lips and he passed off peacefully. Eleven years ago he married Miss Estelle Hammond and one child was the fruit of their union. He was a devout member of the Methodist Church. He was a member of Enterprise Lodge, No. 17, A.O.U.W. He was 38 years of age and a native of England. His funeral will take place to-morrow (sic) at 10 a.m.
Paper clipping owned by Belle Radcliffe.
William married Sarah Estelle Hammond, daughter of General William Hammond and Sarah L. Turner, on 14 Jun 1877 in Santa Clara, CA 73.,261 (Sarah Estelle Hammond was born on 22 Apr 1855 in Jackson, Michigan,18,260,262,263,264 died on 8 May 1954 in Santa Clara, CA 260 and was buried in Oak Hill Memorial Park, San Jose, Santa Clara, CA 243.)