John W. Shannon 7,35
- Born: Abt 1849, Ireland 54
- Died: 30 Nov 1917, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA about age 68 54
- Buried: 3 Dec 1917, Forest Home Cemetery, Forest Park, Cook, IL 54
There was a John Shannon in Chicago in the 1880 census boarding on LaSalle St., Chicago. He was a "cooker." Born about 1853. No J.S. found in Oswego in the 1880 census. There is a J.S. in the 1910 census in Chicago living with daughter Ana. John is listed as age 65 (correct age), born in Ireland/Eng (correct, I suppose), Immigration year 1870. Naturalized citizen, a laborer for the city. Daughter Ana was born in Scotland/Eng. of "Ireland/Eng" parents. She arrived in 1872, age 40. No employment. J.S. is listed as a Widow; Ana is single. Living at 3046 Congress St., Chicago. Found only thru FamilySearch, not Ancestry. Going back 10 more years, I find John S. with wife Mary again on Congress St. but at 1368 Congress. Daughter "Annie" is also there. Again, JS is a laboror for the city, and again it says JS (& wife) immigrated in 1870. Annie also is listed as having come in 1870. Annie's dob is Oct. 1869, born in Scotland. JS's birthdate is shown as 11-1834, as was his wife.
On World Ancestry subscription, they list a John Shannon, son of Thomas and Mary Shannon in "Ireland, Select Births and Baptisms 1620-1911."
Just a note -- "A shower party was given on Saturday, Nov. 27th, at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Lang, 6820 Robey street, in honor of their daughter, Mrs. John Shannon, whose marriage took place Thursday, Nov. 18th. The presents received are too numerous to mention ranging from the stereotyped silverware to automobiles. A prominent member of the Ananias club whose word will be verified by every member of that powerful organization, told us confidentially that the accumulation of feathers from the fowl and other animals devoured by the 100 or more guests would be assorted. The finest to be transformed into a matress for the young couple, and the coarser feathers into feather dusters." Suburbanite Economist 12-3-1909. Also this article: "Sixty-two guests were most royally entertained by Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Lang of 6829 Robey St., Saturday evening, March 12, at Boardman's hall, the occasion being the 25th wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Lang. The bride and groom were assisted in receiving by their daughters, Miss Estelle May Lang and Mrs. John B. Shannon. ...."
No will/probate available on Ancestry 9-2015.
Noted events in his life were:
• Military Service: Enlisted in the Navy, 1 Feb 1865, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 1140 Enlisted for 3 years at sea for general service. His "bounty" was listed at $550. (The range was from $250 to $700.) It says he resides in Oswego, NY in the 22nd "Congressional or Enrollment District." Born in Ireland, a laborer, age 26 (so born about 1839), grey eyes, black hair, dark complexion, 5'7", with his right little finger semi-flexed.
• Physical Description, 1 Feb 1865, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 1140 Grey eyes, black hair, dark complexion, 5'7" with a right little finger semi-flexed.
• Residence, 1894, 366 State Street, Chicago, Cook, IL. 333
• Residence, 1900. 127 In 1900, there are John Shannons at the following addresses in Chicago:
88 N. Ann (clerk)
21- Mecca flats (inspector)
851 N. Marshfield ave. (laborer)
1868 W. Congress (laborer)
5613 Wabash av (laborer)
113 Park Ave. (teaming)
931 Blue Island av (teamster)
3002 Armour av. (vocalist)
6344 S. May (teacher)
1481 W. 12th (plumber)
4612 Armour av. (laborer)
981 W. Madison with home at 399 Warren av (grocer)
No John "W" listed.
There's also a John Shannon shown on a Rochester, NY state census for 1905. He's on the same page as a John Jermyn (wife was Patience) and a George Sweetman (wife was Ellen).
• Residence: Cook County Infirmary Hospital for Tuberculosis, 11 May 1910, Norwood Park Township, Cook, IL, USA. 13 If this is our guy, he's listed age 59, widowed, of Irish-English parentage and he himself is listed as Ire-English birthplace. Says he immigrated in 1880, is naturalized, and acts as a clerk in the hospital. Zero weeks without work.
• Residence, 11 Apr 1914, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 339
• Residence, 3 Nov 1917, 416 Sherman St., Chicago, Cook, IL. 54
• Death, 30 Nov 1917, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 54 In Illinois Deaths & Stillbirths, 1916-1947, it lists his father as Thomas Shannon and mother as Mary Willis. He was a shipping clerk. Est. birth year 1849. He's buried in Sec. EL, which is a section that is filled with mostly single burials (not families).
GS Film # 1309065, Digital Folder # 004484384, Image # 00871
I called Forest Home on 3-12-15 to ask who paid for his headstone (which says, "uncle,") but they said the state of IL can't allow them to release that info. She looked to even see if they had that information and she did not. However, she found something interesting. The undertaker is listed as Louis Cohn. She did a quick Google search and found that Louis Cohn had lost his licence a year prior, according to a Chicago Tribune article dated 11-22-1916. I asked if it was unusual that she didn't have any information about who paid for the funeral, and she said it wasn't really unusual. It does happen.
Here is the Trib's article from 11-22-1916 --
"Undertaker Loses Permit. An order from the mayor's office to all police stations yesterday announced that the license of Louis Cohn, an undertaker at 318 Federal street, has been revoked. Cohn, says the message, is charged with forging an order by which he obtained possession of the body of Miss Ida Gummers of Owen, Wis., who was killed last August in an automobile accident at Sheridan road and Irving Park boulevard."
Mr. Cohn died in 1949 and the article about his death says that he was the owner with George Sisson of the Sisson funeral home, 418 S. Dearborn st.
I did some online research and found in May, 1916, Louis Cohn's business was at 318 Federal St., downtown in the loop. Phone Wabash 3633. His ads were shown in The Advocate: America's Jewish Journal, Vol. 51.
More online searching led me to the Sisson Funeral Home in Michigan. I called the former owner and he said his home is no relation to the one that used to be in Chicago.
• Probate. I can't find any evidence of any probate records for this person in Cook County.