Joseph G. Starr 16
- Born: Pennsylvania 27
- Marriage: Susannah K. Starr
- Died: 1878, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA 19,411
Noted events in his life were:
• Entertainment. 433 Served as scribe for Macon Chapter of R.A.M.
• Occupation: Owner, J.G. Starr & Son Harness Co, 1856-through at least 1874, Decator, Macon County, Illinois. 401,434 "J.G. Starr and Son harness Co"
"This is the oldest harness house and one of the oldest business firms in Decatur. Joseph G. Starr, the owner of the business, came to Decatur from Lewisberry, York county, Pennsylvania, in 1856 and located on Lincoln square, the present site where for more than 50 years the harness and vehicle business has been conducted. Prior to his residence in Decatur, he had a harness shop for more than 12 years at Lewisberry and was continuously identified with the business until his death, which occurred in 1878. Joseph G. Starr was (sic) the father of W.H. Starr, the present head of the Starr interests, and was the son of Hiram Starr, the first of the Starr family to embark in the harness business. This makes 4 successive generations, counting the sons of W.H. Starr, who are also members of this firm.
The J.G. Starr and Sons Harness Company are strictly wholesale dealers and manufacturers of harnesses. W.H. Starr is the president of the concern; E.M. Starr is vice president; and Baldwin Starr secretary and treasurer. The up town store upon the old site on Lincoln square, is conducted under the name J.G. Starr and Son and under the management of Charles A. and W.C. Starr. The wholesale house is located on the northwest corner of Broadway and Central avenue and does its chief business with dealers and other manufacturers in Illinois, which is covered by two traveling men, who are kept constantly on the road."
In 1874, the establishment was described in the city directory (History of Decatur...) as being on the S.W. side of Old Square.
• Politics: City Board of Trustees, 1864, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 401 Served along with James Millikin.
• Organizations: Beaumanoir Commandery, No. 9, 1872, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 401 He was a member here.
• Obituary: Daily Republican, 24 Dec 1878, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 19
• Will: Signed by Starr 8-28-1871; in court 1-13-1879. 70 In his will, he leaves everything after debts to his "beloved wife Susan K. Starr." He asks that his "beloved son William H. Starr" be the executor of the estate. It then states "It is my will & desire that no more of my personal estate shall come to the hand or control of my said executors than shall be necessary
Joseph married Susannah K. Starr, daughter of Samuel Starr and Unknown. (Susannah K. Starr was born in 1826 in York County, Pennsylvania,56,435 died on 11 Sep 1889 in Decatur, Macon , IL, USA 435 and was buried on 13 Sep 1889.)