Michael P. Moroney
Michael P. Moroney 105
No will/probate available on Ancestry 9-2015
Noted events in his life were:
• Alt. Birth: around 1876. 92
• Residence, 12 Jun 1880, 277 28th St. Chicago, Cook, IL. 25 Living here are Michael Moroney as head, Catherine, his wife; John, age 13, his son; Michael, age 8; Eliza, born Nov. of 1880, daughter; Catherine, age 4, and Mary, age 6 -- daughters.
• Residence, 1882, 431 26th St., Chicago, Cook, IL. 126 Shown as a "carbldr" for his occupation.
• Occupation: laborer, 1896, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 85
• Residence, 1898-1900, 429 26th, Chicago, Cook, IL. 85 Probably the wrong Michael Moroney!
• Occupation: laborer, 1898, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 85
• Residence, 1900, 3226 Lowe Ave., Chicago, Cook, IL. 127 Best guess is it says 3226. Other guess: 3228.
• Occupation: Flagman, 1900. 127
• Residence, 11 Jun 1900, 524 28th St., Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 34 Living here are Michael "Morooney", Lizzie as his wife, and son John. (That would be John Visckocil Moroney.) Also living here are the five Haag family members, the four Hannes, and the seven Heidermans. The source for this is the 1900 census. However, in the City Directory for the same year, flagman Michael Moroney is listed as living at 322? Lowe. Figuring the census was taken in June, then it's probable that he lived at the Lowe address in the early months of 1900, or even 1899.
• Occupation: Flagman for the Railroad, 1 Jun 1900, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 34
• Residence, 12 Apr 1902, 411 26th St., Chicago, Cook, IL. 92
• Residence, 13 Apr 1908 through 1910, 2918 Emerald Ave., Chicago, Cook, IL. 92 The person who filled out Harold's birth cert certainly couldn't spell with a darn. She spelled Harold "Harld", Emerald Ave. is "Emarald", so did she get this house number correct? I'm not sure. The census for 1910 has them living nearby so this could be wrong. He's listed as living at 2918 Emerald in the 1910 city directory, listed as a laborer.
• Occupation: Laborer, 18 Apr 1908, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 128
• Residence, 20 Apr 1910, 2915 Emerald Ave., Chicago, Cook, IL. 13 Living here were Michael Moroney, wife Elizabeth, John Viskocil (Elizabeth's son by her first marriage), Tessie, Clarabelle, Helen, Harold, and some other families by the name of Vesely, Williams, McGre??ra, and Fitzmorris. Ward 4.
• Occupation: laborer on a street car, 1910, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 13
• Residence, 1911, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 85 In 1911, there are two Michael Moroneys listed. First, Michael K. was a laborer living at 455 W. 26th. (There was a M.S. Moroney living at that 455 W. 26th address in 1915 and his phone # was Calumet 2879. This would have been Matthew Moroney, so Michael & Matthew maybe were brothers. Matthew died from this home in the 1950s.)
• Residence, 1916, 2920 Wallace Street, Chicago, Cook, IL. 80 His phone # was Drover 9524.
• Death, 20 Aug 1923. 129 Cause of death - Intestinal obstruction. The doctor that signed the death cert was Helen Moroney Hegarty's Dr. Gowan, who delivered her children and in later years wished was still around to help her upon her dying. Witness to the death of Michael was Anna Moroney of 455 W. 25th St. Note that an Anna Moroney of that same address died earlier in that same year. (That Anna Moroney was his step-mother)So perhaps Anna who signed his death cert was an unmarried sister, wife, cousin, ...? Then why wasn't she listed in the obit? Where is her name in old census records?
• Obituary: Chicago Daily News, 21 Aug 1923, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. Someone cut out of the newspaper this person's obit and saved it in a Bible. This is exactly how it reads, one obit directly above & next to the other: What a story can be concocted to go along with the whys of this appearing as it does! To me, it certainly indicates strife between his siblings and Elizabeth. And where is Anna Moroney mentioned? She signed the death cert. Note that the first obit first ran on 8-21-1923 and the next day both obits appeared.
• Funeral: Calvary Cemetery. Funeral Thursday at 9 a.m. from chapel 751 W. 78th Street at Halsted to All Saints Church, by autos to Calvary [cemetery].
Michael married Elizabeth Bertha Bilek, daughter of Matej Bilek and Rosalie Kuthan, in 1897 34.,96 (Elizabeth Bertha Bilek was born on 28 Nov 1872 in Cep, Bohemia,106 died on 17 Feb 1942 in Chicago, Cook, IL, USA 107 and was buried on 21 Feb 1942 in Cedar Park Cemetery, Chicago, Cook, Illinois 63,108.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Marriage, 2 Aug 1922, 8 p.m, 2920 Wallace Street, Chicago, Cook, IL. 125 That marriage date can't be right! Gram was born in 1903 so that's waay off.
There's no record of their having been married at All Saints Parish (Chicago: Wallace St) . I checked the marriage register at the church at least twice. Checked Bilek, Viskocil/Vyskocil, and Moroney/Maroney. And also note that Michael's brother attended & got married at All Saints (John Joseph, who m. a Fitzgerald.) So where is this marriage? My guess as of 2-2-2015 is that they never married, just shacked up -- producing 4 children. Then Michael went on to marry in the Catholic church because technically he hadn't been divorced and could marry legitimately.