Claribel Anna Moroney
Claribel Anna Moroney 1
In order to determine what year her family broke with the Catholic church, I've examined all the First Communion records for All Saints and found none for this family, although I see some for first cousins.
Noted events in her life were:
• Birth. 92 No first name was given on her birth cert. She is listed as only the 2nd child of this mother, when in fact, this was her 4th child, but the 2nd to this marriage. Her mother is listed as of Italian nationality, born in Italy (not correct); her father is listed as Irish, born in Ireland (born in Chicago, I believe). Her mother is shown as age 34; her father as age 30.
• Residence, 12 Apr 1902, 411 26th St., Chicago, Cook, IL. 92
• Alt. Name: Anna Claribel. 132
• Baptism: All Saints, 4 May 1902, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 132 Father is listed as Michael Moroney, mother is Elizabeth Bilek. Sponsors were Fred Mueller and Annie Bilek. Priest was M.D. Hennessey.
• Religion. 1 One of the benefits of joining the 26th St. Mennonite Church in Chicago was a program that took young children out of the city for the hot summer months and sent them to stay with Mennonite families in the country. Prior to joining this church, her family was Catholic, but she always said that the Catholic people would come to her family asking for donations. Her family was so poor that they felt they should be on the receiving end rather than always being asked to give more, so they left that church and began a pattern of becoming whatever religion was located close to their home. The Mennonite Church was close, and offered assistance in a variety of ways to families in need. Belle Radcliffe remembers Helen Moroney saying that sister Claire was sent to a different home -- one where the people were not nice to her, but Helen and Tessie, Belle thinks, were sent to the same home, that of Emma and Andrew Miller. Claire would cry when she had to leave her sisters and be at this farm. As an adult, Claire would join the others at the farm home of the Millers.
• Residence, 13 Apr 1908, 2918 Emerald Ave., Chicago, Cook, IL. 92 This address was listed on son Harold's birth cert. The person who filled out Harold's birth cert certainly couldn't spell with a darn. She spelled Harold "Harld", Emerald Ave. is "Emarald", so did she get this house number correct? I'm not sure. The census for 1910 has them living nearby so this could be wrong.
• Residence, 20 Apr 1910, 2915 Emerald Ave., Chicago, Cook, IL. 13 Living here were Michael Moroney, wife Elizabeth, John Viskocil (Elizabeth's son by her first marriage), Tessie, Clarabelle, Helen, Harold, and some other families by the name of Vesely, Williams, McGre??ra, and Fitzmorris.
• Education: Healy School, 1915, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 8 "Vac't'd." date was 1905.
• Occupation: Principal of Graham School: 45th & Union Ave., Chicago, Cook, IL. 148
• Residence, 1917-1924 or longer, 3920 Wallace Street, Chicago, Cook, IL. 1,14,80 Claire lived with her mother until her mother's passing. She was her caretaker as her health failed. Phone # in 1923 was Victory 6525. The phone was listed in Claire's name.
• Graduation: High School, 29 Jun 1923, Chicago Normal College Elementary Certificate. 8 Earned her Elementary certificate.
• Residence, 1930, 8016 St. Lawrence, Chicago, Cook, IL. 3 Living here with her mother and brother Harold.
• Occupation: school teacher, 29 Apr 1930, Brenan School, Chicago, Cook, IL. 3 Brenan School was at 11411 Eggleston Ave. Claire retired Jan. 30, 1970 after having served more than 40 years.
• Graduation: Loyola University, 14 Jun 1939, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 149 Bachelors in philosophy, or in Latin: Baccalaureatus in Philosophia.
• Residence, 1944, 9051 S. Racine. 12,31 Living in this home at the same time were Claire, her mother, her sister Tessie, Tessie's son Ned (Clarence), and John Viskocil Moroney. Claire and her mother shared a bedroom -- the one at the front of the house. They maybe lived here from 1939 through at least 1944.
• Graduation: Master's Degree, 5 Feb 1947, Loyola University, Chicago, Cook, Illinois. 87
• Occupation: School teacher, 8th grade more than 40 years: Brenan School, Chicago, Cook, IL. 85 Brenan was at 11411 Eggleston Ave., Chicago.
• Residence, 196-1957 ?, 509 Brookwood Drive, Olympia Fields, Cook, IL. 1 This is a red brick ranch, which they had built after the Hegartys built their house practically next door. It had a lot of fun furnishings, including a Western room with a mirrored bar. There was a recliner chair made of white & black cowhide (with the hair still on), Western lamps with photographic images of the Rockies on the shades, a dining table with chairs made of branches...everything was Western right down to the drinking glasses in the bar, which I now own. The kitchen had aqua blue appliances, including a series of 3 refrigerators, all about knee high.
• Residence, 1960s-1970's, Brookwood Drive, Olympia Fields, Cook, IL. 1
• Residence: 880 Mandalay Shores, Clearwater Beach, Florida. 1 Claire lived across the hall from her sister, Tessie. They lived on the 3rd floor. Aunt Claire looked out on the Gulf of Mexico. She moved there after she retired.
• Travel. 1 After retirement, she travelled to the fjords of Norway, China, Hong Kong, Russia, Thailand, Japan, Hawaii, France, Italy, Egypt, Alaska -- source: Belle Radcliffe and Ellen Woods' memory. Email from Belle Radcliffe, 1-2-2009 "Yesterday I straightened out my silverware drawer and found a souvenir spoon from Hong Gong [sic] so AC and At must have been there. also, I remember that they went to Japan on one of the last trips. also, of course Russia. Also, Thailand sp? that AC thought was so beautiful that she would like to go again. From there she brought us some metal pointed finger tips that the dancers wear. I have been trying to think of his hats as they are a clue to where they went. Possible more will come to me later." 1-3-2009 "I thought of another country: Egypt....Yes, AC and AT would go together. They were AAA trips on ships that left from Fla. and they would sign up for the next while they were on one because there were discounts for upcoming trips so they would just sign up. Becky told me about mrs. Fletcher but not that you might want to send something.---I think that it would be nice to do it-----I havent read your other messages so dont know if there are other questions-should have done that----HOpe all is well there mom"
• Residence, 1992, One Wheaton Center, Wheaton, DuPage, IL. 1,101 Claire moved to an apartment here following the death of James H. Hegarty. She eventually had to be moved to a nursing home in the area.
• Death. Photo of death certificate + funeral
• Obituary: Chicago Tribune, 14 Oct 1998. 31 Chicago Tribune (IL) - October 14, 1998
• Cemetery: Cedar Park Cemetery, Calumet Park, Cook County, IL. 12
• Residence, 15 Apr 1940, 9051 S. Racine, Chicago, Cook, IL. 6 Living here are Elizabeth as head; daughter Claribelle "Maroney", son John "Maroney", "Sessie" Maroney, and Clarence Nettleton.
Claribel married Joseph Albert Nayder, son of Vaclev/James Nayder and Katerina Joch, 28 Jun 1948 ? in Chicago, Illinois.96 (Joseph Albert Nayder was born on 26 Aug 1899 in Chicago, Cook , IL, USA,38,41,107,150 died on 21 Jul 1966 in Olympia Fields, Cook, IL, USA 81,107 and was buried on 25 Jul 1966 in Cedar Park Cemetery, Calumet Park, Cook County, IL 107.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Marriage: Salem Evangelical Church, 6-28-about 1948, Emerald Ave. at 68th St., Chicago, Cook, Illinois. 96 Reception at 1553 W. 91st St., Chicago, 5:00 p.m. A google search shows that to be an apartment building, perhaps above a store front in 1948. Could that have been sister Tessie's apartment?