Janet D. Roberton 4,13,74
- Born: Mar 1873, Whitburn, Linlithgow, Scotland 13,14,470
- Marriage: Dr. Herbert Thomas Berry on 24 Mar 1897 in Cook County, IL 74
- Died: 8 Aug 1942, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA at age 69 54,451
- Buried: 11 Aug 1942, Mt. Hope Cemetery, Chicago, Cook County, IL 54
Excerpts from a letter from Sally Radcliffe Packard to her brother, Richard:
"His [Herb Berry's] wife, Aunt Jen, was Scottish, and very prim and proper. Mother [Alice Greathead Radcliffe] said she came from a prominent family; her uncle was an MP. Her brother married a barmaid, and this was such a disgrace that the whole family had to emigrate. She [Jen] had silver that she kept under her bed and never used, because nothing in Chicago was good enough to rate it. Jennie and Grandmother were good friends and talked on the telephone every afternoon.
If this is the correct Janet Roberton, she appears in the Scotland 1881 Census as estimated birth year, about 1873; daughter of Robert and Helen Roberton, Registration District was Shotts Eastern; Civil Parish was Shotts in the county of Lanarkshire. Address 72 Victoria St. (Coltness Coy'S Houses)(sic). Scholar; ED: 2. Household members were Robert age 44; and Helen age 39, then also James age 17, David age 14; Agnes, age 10; Janet age 8; Isabella age 8 (!); Elizabeth age 5, and Annie age 3.
Continuing into the 1891 census, we see a James as head with wife Alice, daughters Margaret M., son John H, and Janet who was a house maid (domestic). She was age 20. This family lived in the county of Northumberland, civil parish of Chatton, So. Hazelrigg. Parliamentary Borough of Berwick-on-Tweed.
Noted events in her life were:
• Alt. Birth, 7 Mar 1872, Scotland. 54
• Immigration: from Scotland to USA, 1888. 14
• Citizenship, 1898. 14
• Residence, 6 Jul 1900, Halsted St., Chicago, Cook, IL. 34 Living here are Herbert, "Jennette", daughters "Hellen", Louisa, and Herb's brother John.
• Residence, 31 Mar 1906, 7251 Emerald Ave., Chicago, Cook, IL. 92
• Residence, 21 Apr 1910, 6351 Green St., Chicago, Cook, IL. 13 Living here are Herbert Berry as head; wife Janet; and children Helen, Louise, Janet; and mother-in-law Helen Roberton.
• Residence, 10 Jan 1920, 7028 Peoria St., Chicago, Cook, IL. 14 Living here are Herbert Berry as head, wife Janet, and children Helen, Louisa, and Janet.
• Residence, 4 Apr 1930, 7828 Peoria St., Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 6 Living here are Herbert as head and wife Janet.
Janet married Dr. Herbert Thomas Berry, son of John Berry and Mary Louisa Breeden, on 24 Mar 1897 in Cook County, IL.74 (Dr. Herbert Thomas Berry was born on 4 Aug 1871 in Ontario, Canada 52,53 and died on 7 Jan 1956 in Cook County, Illinois 40,370.)