Esther Berry 50
- Born: 24 Apr 1848, London, England 31,56,61,472
- Marriage: Joseph Heard on 13 Oct 1873 in Oshawa, Ontario South, Ontario 72,472
- Died: 2 Apr 1895, Fenelon Falls, Victoria North, Ontario, Canada at age 46 31
According to a letter from Sally Packard to R.P. Radcliffe dated prior to 7-2002: Esther married Joe Heard. He was in the hardware business in Fenelon Falls, Ontario. He was a friend of Alfred Greathead in Barnstable, England. This may have been how Alfred and Molly Berry met.
In a letter about her mother from her daughter, Helen (Nellie) Heard:
Notes for Esther Berry:
"My mother had two sisters and four brothers. I can remember my grandmother faintly. They all went to Chicago a her two sons went through as doctors (Uncle Jim an Uncle John). Uncle Herb was a dentist. Uncle William lived in Toronto but evidently didn't go to college. I often went to see them when I would come to Toronto, when I was young. Then the girls came to Fenelon in the summer. I have lost track of them now. Augnt Jen was the other sister and she lived in Brighton, Ontario.
The relatives came every summer to vist us, and they all liked your grandmother (Catherine Burtchaell Heard) very much, and she always gave a good welcome. Aunt Mollie always said what a good looking woman she was.
My Mother was born in England, I think London. Evidently Grandmother Berry came here with the family." - Great Aunt Nell, March 14, 1973. (Helen Heard) - source: Linda Ford email 5-2014
Interesting to note that Alfred John married Mary Louisa Berry and Alfred John's father was friends with Joe Heard in Barnstaple, England. Joe Heard married Esther Berry. Joe Heard's son by Esther - named William - married Joe Heard's second wife's sister Jane. Joe Heard's 2nd wife was Kate Burtchaell and she had a first cousin also named Kate Burtchaell. That cousin Kate married Dr. John Berry of Ontario/Chicago. -- source: What I have plus what was sent to me via email from Linda Ford, Canada.
Noted events in her life were:
• Alt. Birth, 1849. 65
• Residence, 1851, Bermondsey, Surrey, England. 65 Living here are parents John & Louisa, Esther (age 2), and James (age 10 months).
• Immigration: From England to Canada, 30 Aug 1856. 61,68 Sailed out of London, arrived in NY, NY. Traveling in the group were Louisa Berry, age 29; Esther, age 7; James, age 5; Wm, Inf.
• Residence, 1861, Picton, Prince Edward County, Ontario. 69 Living here are John and Louisa Berry and their children Esther, 13; James, 10; William, 7; and Louisa (Jane?), 4; and Sarah, 1.
• Residence, 1871, Prince Edward, Hallowell, Ontario, Canada. 57 Living here are John and Louisa as parents of Esther, James, William, Jane, Mary, and John.
• Religion: W. Methodist, 1871-1891. 56
• Residence, 1891, Fenelon Falls, Victoria North, Ontario, Canada. 56
• Religion: Baptist, Oct 1875. 472
• Obituary: Watchman Warder, 4 Apr 1895. 491 Fenelon Falls. Special to the Watchman.
Sudden Death -- Our villagers were shocked to learn of the sudden demise by heart failure of the wife of Mr. Joseph merchant (sic), of this place, on Tuesday Heard morning last (sic). The deceased lady had prepared and partaken of the morning meal for the family, as usual and was going to commence sewing afterward when she felt very unwell and sank into a chair, one of her children noticed this and ran into the store and called Mr. Heard who came at once and despatched a messenger for Dr. Graham who was with her in five minutes, and did all that medical skill could do; but his efforts were unavailing as she passed away in a very minutes (sic), only speaking once to her few husband (sic) to not leave her as she was dying. Mrs. Heard had been in her usual health and the only cause known was that she had been very depressed lately owing to the fact that her eldest son had to be sent to Chicago for medical treatment and it was feared at one time that he would not recover. This appears to have affected her very seriously. Mrs. Heard was a lady in the prime of life who was highly esteemed by the whole community whose sympathies go out to the stricken husband and motherless children, six in number, the youngest of whom is only one and a half years. Truly in the midst of life we are in death.
• Obituary. 492 Died.
Heard -- At Fenelon Falls, on Tuesday, April 2nd, Esther, wife of Joseph Heard, aged 46 years, 11 months and 8 days.
Esther married Joseph Heard, son of William Thomas Heard and Margaret Hawkins, on 13 Oct 1873 in Oshawa, Ontario South, Ontario 72.,472 (Joseph Heard was born on 25 Mar 1846 in Barnstaple, Devonshire, England,56,472 died on 15 Jan 1911 in Fenelon Falls, Victoria North, Ontario, Canada 51 and was buried in Fenelon Falls, Victoria North, Ontario, Canada 493.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Marriage, 13 Oct 1873, Oshawa, Ontario South, Ontario. 472 Married by Baptist minister, R.B. Montgomery. She was 24 when married.