- Born: 25 Mar 1846, Barnstaple, Devonshire, England 56,472
- Marriage (1): Esther Berry on 13 Oct 1873 in Oshawa, Ontario South, Ontario 72,472
- Marriage (2): Catherine Burtchaell
- Died: 15 Jan 1911, Fenelon Falls, Victoria North, Ontario, Canada at age 64 51
- Buried: Fenelon Falls, Victoria North, Ontario, Canada 493
Notes for Joseph Heard:
"My father was born in Barnstaple in Devon, England, and came out to Canada when he was very young and settled evidently around Picton and those parts and met my mother there, and his brother William (a bachelor) lived around there, but I don't know when he came to Canada, but he used to visit us every year. We never knew when he would arrive, but he just appeared at the door and sometimes stayed or weeks! He wasn't very old, but we all liked him, and Hazel and I often spoke about him.
Dad had another brother in England and he had a sister, but I have forgotten her name, but somehow think it was Elizabeth. Bea must have been named after her.
Dad went to England on visits and the last one was to see doctors there, but he reaqlly never was the same after that visit. I remember when he went. I was in Lindsay attending commercial school, and I went to the station to see him, but I don't think he should ever have made that trip, especially alone. He was young accordign to life expectancy now. He was only 63 years old when he died, and my mothr was only 47, leaving six children. Ted was only 3 years old and I was 5 or 6, then Charilie, May , Lou and Will. My mothr died on 2nd April, on Lou's birthday, suddenly.
My father was in Oshawa when married, whree Lou and Will were born. He was with a man who did evestroughing, furnace work, etc. When Dad left he started a store in Fenelon Falls & I always remember the man (who Dad worked for in Oshawa) coming to see Dad, and I often wonder if he helped Dad in starting his business. He installed furnaces etc. right up in the north country to Haliburton. The man who worked for Dad as tinsmith, Bill Deyman, was with himas long as I can remember. He made all kins of tin pails, eavestroughing, etc., and there was a lot of machinery in this part of the store. It was the largest hardware and tinsmith store north of Toronto. Wasn't it a pit that it burnt down and the house with 12-13 rooms.
I think the first family names were all names after my mother's family also Dad's." - Great Aunt Nell, March 14, 1973. (Helen Heard)
More About Joseph Heard:
Burial: Fenelon Falls used to be Cameron Falls
Immigration: Bef. 1871, to Canada
Occupation: 1871, Tinsmith
Religion: Wesleyan Methodist
Residence: 1851, 4 Rackfield, Barnstaple, Devon, England
Interesting to note that Alfred John married Mary Louisa Berry and Alfred John's father was friends with Joe Heard in Barnstaple, England. Joe Heard married Esther Berry. Joe Heard's son by Esther - named William - married Joe Heard's second wife's sister Jane. Joe Heard's 2nd wife was Kate Burtchaell and she had a first cousin also named Kate Burtchaell. That cousin Kate married Dr. John Berry of Ontario/Chicago. -- source: What I have plus what was sent to me via email from Linda Ford, Canada.
Noted events in his life were:
• Immigration: From England to Canada, 1868 or 1869. 494 Age 24, laborer
• Occupation: Tinsmith, Oct 1873, Oshawa, Ontario South, Ontario. 472
• Occupation: Hardware & Stoves, 13 Feb 1885, Ontario, Canada. 490
• Religion: Baptist, 1891, Fenelon Falls, Victoria North, Ontario, Canada. 56
• Residence, 1891, Fenelon Falls, Victoria North, Ontario, Canada. 56
• Death, 15 Jan 1911, Fenelon Falls, Victoria North, Ontario, Canada. 51 Died in the house behind the hardware store, Fenelon Falls.
Joseph married Esther Berry, daughter of John Berry and Mary Louisa Breeden, on 13 Oct 1873 in Oshawa, Ontario South, Ontario 72.,472 (Esther Berry was born on 24 Apr 1848 in London, England 31,56,61,472 and died on 2 Apr 1895 in Fenelon Falls, Victoria North, Ontario, Canada 31.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Marriage, 13 Oct 1873, Oshawa, Ontario South, Ontario. 472 Married by Baptist minister, R.B. Montgomery. She was 24 when married.
Joseph next married Catherine Burtchaell. (Catherine Burtchaell was born in 1875,35 died in 1950 35 and was buried in Fenelon Falls, Victoria North, Ontario, Canada 35.)