- Born: Abt 1823, Sheerness, Kent, England 262
- Marriage: Joseph James Greathead (2) on 26 Dec 1852 in Sheppey, Sheerness, Kent, England 262
- Died: 26 Nov 1905, Nottinghill, London, England about age 82 167,262
b. about 1823, d. 26 November 1905, #2065
Last Edited=13 Nov 2005
Appears on charts:
William Greathead <ld6.htm>
Eliza Waghorn was born about 1823 in Sheerness, Kent, England <pd12.htm>.\super 4,1\nosupersub She was the daughter of ... Waghorn <p524.htm>. She married Joseph James Greathead, son of Joseph James Greathead <p74.htm> and Sarah Dunstall <p74.htm>, in 1852 in Sheppey, Sheerness, Kent, England <pd12.htm>.\super 3,5,6\nosupersub In the census of 7 April 1861 in 4 Chapel Street, Sheerness, Kent, England <pd12.htm>, she was listed as the sister in law of Edward Waghorn <p524.htm>.\super 7\nosupersub In the census of 2 April 1871 in 9 Victoria Terrace, Maine Town, Sheerness, Kent, England <pd12.htm>, Eliza is listed as wife not head, so presumably Joseph was away probably on the high seas! on the census night. Anna Waghorn aged six was a visitor on the night.\super 8\nosupersub Joseph was listed as the head of the family of on the census of 3 April 1881 in New Road, 10 Newton Terrace, St Margaret, Rochester, Kent, England <pd12.htm>, Joseph was a Chief Engineer Royal Navyon the retired list.\super 9\nosupersub In the census of 5 April 1891 in 158 Lancaster Road, Kensington, London, England <pd17.htm>, she was listed as the wife of Joseph James Greathead.\super 10\nosupersub In the census of 31 March 1901 in 87 Ladbroke Grove, Kensington, London, England <pd17.htm>, she was listed as the visitor of Dr Joseph Ernest Bullock <p99.htm>.\super 4\nosupersub She died on 26 November 1905 in 87 Ladbroke Grove, Nottinghill, London, England <pd17.htm>.\super 11,12\nosupersub She did not leave a will. Administration papers were issued on 11 December 1905 to Joseph, a retired naval officer in London. Her effects were valued at £106 2s 3d.\super 12\nosupersub
Children of Eliza Waghorn and Joseph James Greathead <p83.htm>
Joseph Arthur Waghorn Greathead <p83.htm>+ b. 13 Oct 1853, d. 14 Feb 1893
Ada Eliza Greathead <p83.htm>+ b. 1862
Sources of information
[S1881000 <s1.htm>] National 1881 Index CD and/or Ancestry.com, 1881 census.
[S1901000 <s1.htm>] RG13 31 March 1901.
[S4176 <s1.htm>] E-mails from Audrey Summerill to Jan Cooper, from 30 September 2002.
[S1901002 <s1.htm>] Census 1901, RG13 Piece 27 Folio 73 Page 89, copy of enumeration sheet obtained from www.Ancestry.co.uk. <../Census Images/RG13 - 27 - 73 - 89.jpg> ../Census Images/RG13 - 27 - 73 - 89.jpg>
[S51837 <s1.htm>] GRO Indexes, www 1837 or Free BMD, 1952/Q4 Sheppey Volume 2a Page 1013.
[S9057 <s1.htm>] E-mails from Judith Lancefield to Jan Cooper, from 24 March 2003.
[S1861000 <s1.htm>] Census 1861 RG9 - 7 April 1861 from various sources , RG9 Piece 531 Folio 138 Page 1 and RG9 Piece 4480 Folio 51 Page 3.
[S1871030 <s1.htm>] Census 1871, RG10 Piece 986 Folio 94 Page 23, copy of enumeration sheet obtained from www.Ancestry.co.uk. <../Census Images/RG10 - 986 - 94 - 23.jpg> ../Census Images/RG10 - 986 - 94 - 23.jpg>
[S1881000 <s1.htm>] National 1881 Index CD and/or Ancestry.com, 1881 census ,RG11 Piece 0887 folio 29 page 25 FHL film 1341210.
[S1891007 <s1.htm>] Census 1891, RG12 Piece 25 Folio 92 Page 3 copy of the enumeration sheet obtained from Ancestry. <../Census Images/RG12 - 25 - 92 - 3.jpg> ../Census Images/RG12 - 25 - 92 - 3.jpg>
[S51837 <s1.htm>] GRO Indexes, www 1837 or Free BMD, 1905/Q4 Kensington Volume 1a Page 103.
[S50027 <s1.htm>] Wills Index in Probate Office.
Noted events in her life were:
• Residence, 1841, Kent, England. 66 Civil Parish: Bexley, Hundred: Ruxley; County: Kent
Living here are Thomas, Eliza the wife, and Eliza the daughter.
• Residence, 1851, Chapel Street, Minster in Sheppey, Canterbury, Blue Town. 65 Living here are ..?.. Waghorn as head, wife Elizabeth as wife, and children Mar? (daughter), Elizabeth, and Edward.
• Residence, 1861, No. 2 Chapel St., Minster, Sheerness, Kent, England. 166 Living here are Edward as head, wife Jane, sister Maria, Brother-in-law Joseph James Greathead, sister-in-law Eliza, nephew Joseph, and a servant.
• Residence, 1871, No. 9 Victoria, Marine Town, Sheerness, Kent, England. 163 Shown living here are Eliza, and children J.A., and AE.
• Residence, 1881, No. 10 Newton Terrace, St. Margaret, Rochester, Kent, England. 58 Living here are Joseph J. Greathead as head, wife Eliza, and children Joseph A., Ada E, and a general servant.
• Residence, 1891, 158 Lancaster Kensington Town, Kensington, London, England. 546 Living here are Joseph as head, and wife Eliza. Also here is a cook and a general servant.
• Travel, 1901, 87 Ladbroke Grove, London, England. 547 Living here are Joseph E. Bullock as head, wife Ada, children Arthur, Gerald, and Eva. Visiting here are Joseph J. Greathead and Eliza. Also a visitor is William A. Evans.
• Will, 1905. 167 Eliza Greathead of 87 Ladbroke-grove Notting Hill Middlesex (wife of Joseph James Greathead) died 26 November 1905 Administration London 11 December to the said Joseph James Greathead retired naval-officer Effects 106 British pounds 2s. 3d.
Eliza married Joseph James Greathead (2), son of Joseph James Greathead (1) and Sarah Dunstall, on 26 Dec 1852 in Sheppey, Sheerness, Kent, England.262 (Joseph James Greathead (2) was born on 3 Nov 1823 in Otley, Yorkshire, England 262,307,544, christened on 4 Jan 1824 in All Saints, Otley, Yorkshire, England 262,307 and died in Mar 1917 in St Leonards on Sea, Sussex, England 262.)
Folio: 284, Joseph James Greathead, then aged 29, married Eliza Waghorn on 26 Dec 1852 at Minster, Isle of Sheppy, Kent (marriage recorded for potential Royal Navy widow's pension). Open Document, Open Description, held by The National Archives, Kew. -- from The National Archives of the U.K. www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue