|Berhardine (Bernhardin) A./Bernardine Thomas
The 1880 census says she was born in 1842, she was a housewife, and both her parents were born in Saxony. That same census says she was the mother of 19 children, 7 of whom were still alive at time of the census.
Noted events in her life were:
• Alt. Name: Bernhardina. 559
• Immigration, 27 May 1867, Baltimore, , MD. 371 Bernhardine came over as an unmarried servant girl on the ship "Capella," a bark ship which originated in Mielfeld, Germany destined for Baltimore.
• Residence, 1 Jun 1870, Baltimore, , MD. 24 Living here in the 1st District of Baltimore was Henry, his wife "Benteena," six year old Anna, and one year old John. Living nearby (on the next page of the census) is August Mette and his family.
• Residence, 4 Jun 1872, 29 Murray, Chicago, Cook, IL. 86
• Residence, 8 Jun 1880, 9 Singer St., Chicago, Cook, IL. 25
• Residence, 5 Jun 1900, 2469 Archer Ave., Chicago, Cook County, IL. 34 Ward 5, Enumeration district 118, sheet 6.
• Residence, 22 Apr 1910 until death, 2551 Emerald Ave., Chicago, Cook, IL. 13 Living here were six families, but in the Mette group were Bernhardine as a widow (and mother of 19, only 7 of whom were living), son Louis W.; Emma L., daughter; Millie B., daughter; and Harold G., grandson.
• Death, 28 Aug 1913, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 44 Cause of death -- nephritis (a liver problem) and myocarditis (a heart problem that can be caused by a virus, a bacteria, or alcohol.
• Cemetery, 31 Aug 1913, Oak Woods Cemetery, Chicago, Cook, Illinois. 63 Buried in J1, #128, 8 1/2W-2N
Berhardine married Henry Mette, son of George Mette I and Annie Elizabeth. (Henry Mette was born in Sep 1834 in Saxony,25,34,35,552 died on 11 Jul 1901 in Chicago, Cook , IL, USA 40 and was buried on 14 Jul 1901 in Oakwoods Cemetery, Chicago, Cook, Illinois 63.)