Herndon E. Benton 12,81
- Born: 17 Jun 1883, Estille, Kentucky 14,34,54,150
- Marriage: Margaret Lucille Mette in Aug 1898 in Cook County, IL 452
- Died: 17 Jan 1940, Harvey, Cook, IL at age 56 40,54
- Buried: 20 Jan 1940, Mt. Hope Cemetery, Chicago, Cook County, IL 81
Herndon gave a sizeable amount of money to James Harold Hegarty to help buy his father's house after his father died. He also signed the baptism certificate for J.H.H.'s firstborn child, James.
We looked for his headstone at Mt. Hope Cemetery but found none. The office swears there is no paperwork for one, but Belle A. Hegarty Radcliffe remembers one of red granite, laying flat. We can think of no explanation for the missing headstone. The office does have him buried next to Helen Hegarty, though, at Mt. Hope. He isn't buried with his wife; she's buried with her brother.
He was a retired member of the south park police.
Belle Radcliffe remembers her mom and dad would have Herndon & Margaret over some times. Herndon would bring her a toy or something to amuse her, which would send her out of the room to play so they could have adult conversation. She remembers the four of them speaking maybe about financial matters. She didn't think they were together to have a fun time necessarily. There wasn't a lot of laughing.
From: email@example.com <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
To: Ellen Woods <mailto:email@example.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:14 PM
Subject: Re: Herndon Benton
As far as I know, Herndon was not abandoned. It was his sister, about nine years older, my great grandmother Mary Helen Benton, who abandoned her children. Herndon was my grandfather's uncle. Mary Helen married John Swearingen, they are my (not so great!) great-grandparents. No, the family in Weston was indeed his family. That is where they moved when Herndon's father died in KY. I just learned that Herndon's mother, who's last name was Herndon, had a brother in Platte Co. Her father, Elijah Herndon, died in Kansas City. It was said they came because family lived there. There were a bunch of Herndons there, but I don't think they are close relatives, if at all. I found out about her brother John Miles Herndon living there just today - he was Herndon Bennett's uncle.
No idea why he moved to Chicago! He may have just had the wandering spirit and wanted to live in a big city.
Noted events in his life were:
• Residence, 1900, Weston City, Platte, Missouri. 34 He lived here with his mother, Fannie, and his brothers.
• Residence, 12 Sep 1918, 536 W. 29th St., Chicago, Cook, IL. 150
• Occupation: State Police, 12 Sep 1918, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 150
• Physical Description, 12 Sep 1918. 150 Tall, medium build, blue eyes and brown hair.
• Residence, 12 Jan 1920, 2829 Union Ave., Chicago, Cook, IL. 14 Living here are Herndon and wife "Marguerite".
• Occupation: Police officer for city of Chicago, 12 Jan 1920. 14
• Residence, 3 Jul 1920, 2829 S. Union St., Chicago, Cook, IL. 92 He was living here at the time of Dorothy Benton's birth.
• Residence, 18 Apr 1930, 8925 Union Ave., Chicago, Cook, IL. 3 Living here are Herndon as head, wife Margaret, and daughter Dorothy.
• Occupation: Police Officer for the city, 18 Apr 1930, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 3
• Obituary: Chicago Tribune, 19 Jan 1940.
Chicago Tribune (IL) - January 19, 1940
Deceased Name: Herndon E. Benton
--Herndon E. Benton, 14812 Ashland avenue, Harvey, Ill., beloved husband of Margaret Benton, father of Dorothy Benton. At chapel, 63d and Harvard, where services will be held Saturday, Jan. 20, at 2 p.m. Interment Mount Hope. Retired member of south park police.
Chicago Tribune (IL)
Date: January 19, 1940
Edition: Chicago Tribune
• Residence: 14812 Ashland Ave., Harvey, Cook, IL. 81 This is a 750 sq. ft. home with one bath, built in 1920. It sold in 1992 for $17,659. (source: www.realtor.com)
• Funeral, 20 Jan 1940, at chapel, 63rd & Harvard. 81
• Cemetery: Mt. Hope Cemetery: Chicago, Cook County, IL. 63 Herndon is buried in Sec. 7, plot 235 with James Herbert Hegarty, Lillian Hegarty, James Harold and Helen C. Hegarty. No wife is buried with him. She's buried with her brother.
Herndon married Margaret Lucille Mette, daughter of Michael Mette and Anna Kearns, in Aug 1898 in Cook County, IL.452 (Margaret Lucille Mette was born on 9 Apr 1882 in Chicago, Cook , IL, USA,92 died on 4 Jul 1964 in Cook County, IL 31,451 and was buried on 8 Jul 1964 in Archer Woods, Chicago, Cook, IL 31.)