John Viskocil III 74
- Born: 1863, Bohemia 41,119,120
- Marriage: Elizabeth Bertha Bilek on 3 Feb 1889 in Chicago, Cook , IL, USA 74,104
- Died: 4 Nov 1904, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA at age 41 121
- Buried: 6 Nov 1904, Resurrection Cemetery, Cook County, Illinois 44,122
According to the 1920 census listing for his son, he was born in Bohemia.
It is pretty probable that John had a brother, Joseph, who was born in 1861 (2 years older). According to a passport application for Joseph, he was born in Galc (or "o"), Jenikov, Bohemia 10-2-1861. He traveled on the Trave from Bremmen on or about 8-14-1885. He lived in Chicago from 1885 until the year of the application, which was 1903. His occupation was a "backer." He was 5'6", brown hair, high forhead, prominent nose, small mouth, medium chin, brown eyes, and a long face. He was naturalized in the Superior Court of Cook Cty on 10-13-1894. He intended to be gone 2 years, but it didn't say where he was intending to go.
Note to self: A John (Johan) Viskocil appears in the Naturalization Declarations of Intention for Cook County Circuit Court (http://www.cookcountyclerkofcourt.org/NR/default.aspx). He was a janitor from "Holic" Hungary, but his birthdate was 10-9-1880.
What happened to John -- did she & Eliz. divorce, did he die, what? I can't find any divorce decree when I looked at the County Clerk's office in 2011.
A John Vyskocil, age 1 year, 6 months, died on 3-13-1884. He's buried in Stanislaus cemetery, and his address at time of death was 3119 Butler! Because this happened 5 years before he married Elizabeth, it indicates he may have been married previously. If the child was a son of John's father, then the father would have had 2 living sons with the first name of John. Or maybe this baby was born of our John's brother who I'm guessing was Joseph. And then there's the birth of Tharel Viskocel (sic) who was born 10-25-1885. The father was a John Viskocil and Antonie Rejskova was the mother. And an Antonie Vyskocilova (sic) with parents of Jan Vyskocil (sic) and Antonie Sterbova Vyskocilova in June, 1889. And a Wencel Wiskocil (sic) born to John Wiskocil (sic) and Antonie "Rejskova or Wiskocil" (sic).
For Viskocil notes, see St. John Nepomucene Church records -- There are lots of them in there. 1900 A Mary Viscousell (M-I-L of Dan Avery is living on 5th Ave.) Most of the Viskocils at St. John Nepomucene spell the name "Vyskocil."
The Chicago Examiner lists a John J. Vyskocil as having bought lot 14 on Garfield for $3,800. Newspaper date is 1-26-1914.
No will/probate available on Ancestry 9-2015
Noted events in his life were:
• Alt. Name: John "Vyskocil."
• Immigration, 1869, Baltimore, , MD. 47 Not sure this info is for this John V. Est. birth year is abt 1862. Name spelled Vyskocil, Joh.
• Residence, 1885, 3119 Butler, Chicago, Cook, IL. 127 Thinking this carpenter is our guy.
• Occupation: Laborer, 17 Apr 1890. 112
• Residence, 17 Apr 1890, 478 29th St., Chicago, Cook, IL. 618
• Occupation: carpenter, 1890-1897, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 619
• Residence, 5 Aug 1891, 4750 Throop St., Chicago, Cook, IL. 114 The street name is spelled Troop on the birth certificate of Marie, but I believe that to be a misspelling.
• Residence, 1885-1900, 3119 Butler, Chicago, Cook, IL. 85,620 Butler is between S. Canal St. and S. Parnall, off of 31st St. It's a couple blocks away from Asbury M.E. Church. It was the 3rd house from the corner of 31st and Butler. On the Sanborn Map, it's listed as a 2B, D structure, non-brick. Butler has since been renamed to South Normal Ave. -- right by where the White Sox play now, U.S. Cellular Field.
Could this have been the home of both John the father & John the son?
• Residence, 1896-1897, 1015 W. 12th, Chicago, Cook, IL. 85 Both father & son are carpenters living at this address.
• Occupation: cigar maker, 1899, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 85
• Death, 4 Nov 1904, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 88 His death was reported in the Chicago Tribune on 11-7-1904, and he's listed at the correct address where he & Elizabeth were living. This also corresponds with the church record of his death... within a few days. The church record at St. John Nepomucene says he was buried Nov. 6, 1904, died Nov. 4, 1904, age 42, and that he's buried at Resurrection. St. John Nepomucene Deaths 1888-1925, image 37/63. His last name is misspelled in the Tribune. It's spelled "Vyskocic." Full mention says, "Official Death Record. Burial Permits were issued by the health department yesterday as follows:....Vyskocic. John, 42; 3119 Butler st., Nov. 4." The Statewide Death Index lists the spelling as "Vyskocie, age 42." Death cert #00012106, Cook Cty.
Other John Viskocils who died in the city (view online at FamilySearch.org)(other than an infant)(any spelling) -- John Vyskoril (entered with incorrect spelling from the record) father's name was John. Died 7-28-1921. Born in Bohemia. Wife was Kate. Died of cirrhosis of liver. Address 2626 S. Trumbell Ave., Ward 12. Lived in city 37 yrs., country 37. Date of birth: 1864 (month & day unknown.) Buried Bohemian National.
John Vyskocie (entered with incorrect spelling from the record) Died 12-24-1914. Married but doesn't say who he was married to. Date of birth 7-27-1851. Carpenter from 1886-1914! Place of death 3119 Normal Ave., having lived there 34 yrs. (The name of the street Butler [or that part of it!] was changed to Normal. Because the house # is the same, it pretty much confirms it.) Buried St. Adalbert's on Christmas Day, 1914. Informant was Frank Vyskocil of same address. Father was John, mother was Elizabeth Mayer. Lived in city 42 yrs., in state 42 yrs. Cause of death asthma. Age at death, 63 yrs, 4 months and 28 days. Born in Bohemia.
John Vyskocil Died 2-8-1917, a chauffeur born in Austria. Age 37. Month & date of birth unknown. Died of tuberculosis. Informant was Mary Vyskocil of 2335 S. Turner Ave. Died in Cook Cty Hospital, and no address given for John. Buried at Resurrection.
John Vyskocil Died 5-12-1927 (record only, avail. thru Ancestry.com)
John Vyskocil Died 7-27-1938 (record only, avail. thru Ancestry.com)
John married Elizabeth Bertha Bilek, daughter of Matej Bilek and Rosalie Kuthan, on 3 Feb 1889 in Chicago, Cook , IL, USA 74.,104 (Elizabeth Bertha Bilek was born on 28 Nov 1872 in Cep, Bohemia,106 died on 17 Feb 1942 in Chicago, Cook, IL, USA 107 and was buried on 21 Feb 1942 in Cedar Park Cemetery, Chicago, Cook, Illinois 63,108.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Marriage, 3 Feb 1889, Chicago, Cook , IL, USA. 104 "...Joannem Vyskocil ex loco Jehwicke, Boh.
Filium Anna Vyskocil
et Elizabetham Bilek
Filiam Mathya Bilek + Rosalie Kuthin
Praesentibus testibus Mathyo Drye + Josephe Parueka
Franciscus Bobal Rector"
Image 74/382, St. John Nepomucene Church records
Priest: Francis Bobal. Source: Marriage certificate.
John was 26 (so birth year abt. 1863). Lizzie was abt 17.
Fr. Bobal was pastor of St. John Nepomucene from 1877 to January of 1908.