|Aubra Linn Radcliff
Noted events in his life were:
• Residence, 1 Jun 1880, 43 W. Prairie, Decator, Macon County, Illinois. 25 This is in the heart of downtown. Currently, there is a very old two-story building on the property, commercial downstairs, possibly residential upstairs. (Went & looked 3-2-08)
• Travel: Visit to Bloomington, Leroy, and Farmer City, 20 May 1890, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 172 "Linn Radcliff, opera house treasurer, got home yesterday from a trip to Bloomington, Leroy, and Farmer City."
• Entertainment: sang for July 4 fund raiser, 4 Jul 1891, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 197 The "Bijou Quartet" comprised of Linn, Asa Somerfield, Chas. Nichols, and Charles Hoy, "rendered excellent music on the lawn." About 200 in attendance. Raised $ for the Methodist church.
• Entertainment: Participant in a mind-reading exposition, 15 Dec 1891, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 172 Linn was one of a group of people on stage. The group was asked to hide a weapon somewhere while the mind reader is back stage & supposedly couldn't see. When he came back to the stage, he chose certain people, stumbled around a bit and then walked with them to the hidden weapons.
• Entertainment: Hay ride to Macon, 2 Sep 1893, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 198 Rode to Macon with a group of friends, ate dinner at the Commercial House.
• Employment: Jury member, 28 Nov 1893, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 173 To decide if the death of a two year old boy was accidental. It was.
• Entertainment: Led a Grand March at Waltz Reception, 7 Feb 1894, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 173 Given by the young ladies at Columbia Hall.
• Travel: trip to Mechanicsburg, 9 Apr 1894, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 172 "Linn Radcliffe made a good trip Sunday, going 25 miles in two hours. He rode to Mechanicsburg in that time, arriving at his uncle's house in time for breakfast. There were no mishaps and after spending the day with his relatives he returned at night, much fatigued, but delighted with the trip."
• Entertainment: sang in quartet, 21 Apr 1894, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 172 He sang with his quartet partners Ben & Allerton Freeman and Paul Smith for the Women's Relief Corps spelling contest.
• Entertainment: Quartet sang at store opening, 18 Jun 1894, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 172 Linn, as part of the Acme Quartet (Linn, Elmer Burke, H. and Harlie Wilson) sang at the opening of Phillips & Co. Nearly 2000 people came to the store. It was labeled as quite a success.
• Entertainment: Glee club solo for the Republicans, 4 Oct 1894, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 172 Linn sang a solo for a Republican event.
• Entertainment: Informal Dance, 20 Oct 1894, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 172 Eleven guys put on an informal dance at Sedgewick's hall
• Entertainment: Glee club performed before Governor, 6 Nov 1894, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 172 Sang in front of a group of 2500 Republicans gathered for a meeting. Illinois Governor Oglesby (a Decatur native) and other officials were in attendance. "...Linn Radcliffe, Elmer Birks, Ben and Charles Freeman never sang better; they were roundly cheered," the article reads. "Linn dressed in working clothes and carrying a tin bucket recited "the Penitent's Lament" to which he told with variations what he had learned through his stomach what he couldn't learn with his brains."
• Entertainment: Comus Club entertains lady friends with a dance, 1 Feb 1895, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 172
• Entertainment: A Member of Lucullus Council #1, O.M.A, 7 Feb 1895, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 172 He was made a "prince of the orient"
• Entertainment: Prompter for a ball at the Guard's Armory, 13 Mar 1895, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 172
• Occupation: Finds suicide victim, 6 Jun 1895, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 199 "Dead and Buried"
• Entertainment: Provided music for party, 22 Jun 1895, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 200 He was part of a 3 man string orchestra that played for a party. The party started out as a picnic lunch in Fairview park but it rained and the women got soaked. They changed clothes, then met at Mr. & Mrs. Wherely's home to have an elegant supper where Linn et al provided the music.
• Entertainment: Played music in honor of wedding couple, 13 Jul 1895, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 200 Miss Fannie Braden and Frank Ross were quietly married with only a handful of relatives on hand. Afterwards there was a reception of friends at the bride's house. At 10 p.m. someone else provided music, and then at 11:00 p.m. the "Freeman orchestra" performed accompanied by Linn.
• Travel: to Mechanicsburg, 20 Jul 1895, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 200 "Linn Radcliff will spend Sunday in Mechanicsburg and will go down on his wheel. He will leave the city at 4 o'clock and will eat breakfast with his uncle in Mechanicsburg. He will return in the evening."
• Travel: to Missouri to hunt, 17 Oct 1895, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 201 Went with a party of friends to spend several weeks hunting in the mountains.
• Entertainment: Mandolin Orchestra player, 30 Dec 1895, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 202 He and three other gents made up a mandolin orchestra and performed at an elaborate euchre party given by Miss Nita Bullard at her home at 252 W. William St., Decatur. His sister Fallis was there as a guest. Over 50 people were in attendance.
• Entertainment: Played mandolin for wedding, 9 Apr 1896, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 172 He, Charles Freeman, Will McBride, and Ben Freeman made up the "Mandolin Orchestra" that played the wedding march for Blanche Alsop and Orian T. Eddy's wedding. There were 25 people at the wedding.
• Entertainment: Class Reception, 21 May 1896, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 173 "Approaching Marriage Furnishes Occasion for an Enjoyable Affair"
• Entertainment: Asked to form Glee Club for Republicans, 26 Jun 1896, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 173 For McKinley Republican Club
• Entertainment: Party, 5 Sep 1896, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 203 "Gave a Hay Party"
• Entertainment: Charades, 10 Aug 1887, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 172 "Good Bye Reception and Party"
• Entertainment: Singing performance, 18 Mar 1899. 172 He sang "Golden Max?ms" at the Opera House 3-31-1899.
• Occupation: Jury member in death case, 22 Apr 1899, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 173 He served on the inquest jury for a man who died of natural causes, they decided.
• Entertainment: Dance Reception Committee, 16 Jun 1899, "Fairlawn" park, Decatur, Macon, IL. 172 He was an organizer of a dance for over 1,000 young people at the pavilion.
• Residence: rental, 11 Jun 1900, 242 N. Main, Decatur, Macon, IL. 34
• Occupation: Assistant undertaker, 11 Jun 1900, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 34
• Occupation: Takes position in Louisville, 19 Jul 1900, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 173 Linn Radcliffe has resigned his position with J.B. Bullard's undertaking establishment and will leave in about one week for Louisville, Ky where he will assume a situation with a large undertaking firm of that city.
• Property: "Linn Radcliff Robbed," 8 Aug 1902, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 189 "Thief Paid Visit While He was at a Funeral"
• Entertainment: Mandolin club played for party, 28 Dec 1902, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 189 Linn, Ned Freeman, and Loren Burleigh played several selections at a company party given by Mueller Manufacturing Company at Greider's Cafe.
• Entertainment: Friend's wedding, 28 Oct 1903, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 204 Attended the wedding of Grace Bullard, along with about 399 others including other Radcliffs, Starrs, and other Bullards.
• Entertainment: Led Mandolin Orchestra, 13 Dec 1903, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 205 Led the College Hill Mandolin Orchestra for the Eagle's social session.
• Entertainment: Minstrel Show actor, 15 Dec 1903, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 206 He played the part of a "bum actor."
• Entertainment: Sang in an amateur show, 29 Dec 1903, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 207 Also did dialog. "Elks Give the Best Amateur Show on Record" "Had Packed House"
• Occupation: Undertaker. 16
• Entertainment: Vocal Solo for Elks Stag Social, 16 Feb 1904, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 189
• Travel: Trip to Springfield, 2 Jun 1904, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 173 "Three Went to Root for Hamlin"
• Entertainment: Attended St. Louis World's Fair, 4 Sep 1904, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 173
• Entertainment: Member of Skating Club, 15 Oct 1904, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 173 Each member brought a lady to the club's opening night. There were no injuries aside from some bruises.
• Entertainment: Elks club performance, 31 Jan 1905, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 173 Performed "A Little Boy Called Taps"
• Travel: to Decatur from Princeton, IN, 9 Aug 1912, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 208 "Linn Radcliff, formerly of Decatur but now in the undertaking business in Princeton, Ind., is in town shaking hands with old friends. Mr. Radcliff was born and reared here and was with J.B. Bullard in the undertaking business for years. Naturally he knows about everybody in town. Mr. Radcliff is making good in Princeton... Mrs. Radcliff is now in Denver on a visit.
• Travel: "Linn Radcliff Back in Decatur," 9 Jul 1916, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 173 "Came from Princeton, Ind. to Have Teeth Extracted"
• Travel: "Lynn Radcliff Drives to Decatur," 16 May 1917, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 173 "210 mile trip from Princeton, Ind. made in day"
• Residence, 1924, 411 S. Main St., Princeton, Gibson, IN. 177
• Obituary, 15 Oct 1925, Decatur, Macon , IL, USA. 173 Linn Radcliffe formerly of Decatur died Wednesday afternoon at his home in Princeton, Ind. according to word received by Decatur relatives. He was fifty-four years old last March. He had been in failing health for a long time.
• Burial, 1925, Princeton, Gibson, IN. 19
Aubra married Ruth Anderson Pfohl, daughter of John A. Pfohl and Living, on 7 Jul 1905. (Ruth Anderson Pfohl was born on 24 Apr 1883.)